Access to the main NHS web site with information about local service as well as links to other sites
Information sheets about a large number of medical conditions available to download or print
Information about UK prescription charges and who is eligible for these
Information about how to access your medical records
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital: 0191 482 0000
- Newcastle Hospitals (RVI / Freeman / General) : 0191 233 6161
- Gateshead Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) : 0191 477 1392. The CAB offers free advice on a number of issues including benefits, housing and employment
- 24/7 (drug and alcohol service): 0191 443 6880. 24/7 are a service for people with drug and alcohol issues in Gateshead. You can be referred by your GP or self-refer on the above number
- SMART: web – www.getsmartgateshead.com phone – 0191 499 8110. SMART – a drug and alcohol service for young people in Gateshead (aged 18 or under). They can be called on the above number (9-5 Monday to Friday) for advice or to arrange an appointment
- GUM Clinic Newcastle: web – www.gumnewcastle.nhs.uk phone – 0191 2292999. Advice on contraception and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections. The website also contains a lot of useful information – please see the website for appointments and clinic times
These are two of the leading cancer charities in the UK and they have helpful, informative web sites.
Information and support for people with asthma and their families.
Information and support for people with diabetes and their families.
Information and support for people with mental health problems and their families.
Information and support for carers
Advice on health and benefits as well as other useful information for pregnant women and their partners.
Benefits and Sick Pay
Benefits available for disabled people.
Advice on benefits available for those who are unable to work due to ill health.
Health and Fitness
The NHS stop smoking web site with useful advice and information for those thinking of quitting.
Advice on a healthy diet.
Some information about walks and outdoor activities locally.
Specific health advice for young people.
Information on chlamydia and testing for this common sexually transmitted infection.
Advice on relationships, safe sex and sexually transmitted infections for young people.
SMART: web – www.getsmartgateshead.com phone – 0191 499 8110. SMART – a drug and alcohol service for young people in Gateshead (aged 18 or under). They can be called on the above number (9-5 Monday to Friday) for advice or to arrange an appointment
Advice about medical conditions that affect driving and what to do if you suffer with these conditions.
Advice on obtaining a ‘blue badge’ if you are disabled.
NHS advice on health care abroad and preparations to make before you travel.
The Foreign Office travel site – up-to-date information on health, security and visas for overseas destinations.
Women’s Aid: web – www.womensaid.org.uk phone – 0808 2000 247. National Domestic Violence Charity with an informative web site and a 24 hour-a-day helpline.
Please note – these links are provided for information only. We are not responsible for their content and cannot guarantee that the information they contain is accurate or up-to-date. If in doubt, please contact the surgery directly. If you come across a web site you think is particularly useful, let us know so that we can add it to the page!